Cheese and Tomato Pasta BakeCourse: Brunch, Main CourseCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Medium
A quick and easy delicious pasta bake. Serve it as a brunch or as a main meal.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
1 carrot peeled and diced
1 celery stalk diced
2 garlic cloves finely sliced
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
175 ml Red Wine a small glass
1 tsp Italian Herbs
500 g Fusilli or Rotini pasta can also be made with penna
150 g mature Cheddar grated
150 g red Leicester grated
Parsley finely chopped to serve
- For the Tomato Sauce
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Sweat the onion, carrot and celery for 5/7 mins, or until softened.
- Add in the garlic and cook for a further 2-3 mins.
- Add in the balsamic vinegar and wine and let it simmer until the wine has reduced.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, herbs and 250ml water and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 mins to let the sauce reduce then remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, Fan180°C/ 400°f./ Gas mark 6
- While you are waiting for the sauce to reduce, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for approx 10 minutes.
- When cooked the pasta should be tender but still firm to the bite
- Blitz the sauce with A Stick Blender until smooth and season to taste.
- Drain the pasta(keeping a cup or so of the water) and stir in the sauce.
- If the pasta mix is too thick, loosen it up with the cup of water saved from cooking the pasta.
- (You are looking for the pasta mix to be fairly loose as it will reduce in the oven.)
- Transfer half of the pasta mix to an ovenproof baking dish, and top with a mix of half the cheeses
- Add the remainder of the pasta and again top with the remainder of the cheeses
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins, or until the top is a golden brown.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve