Chilli Con CarneCourse: Main CourseCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Medium
An easy Chilli Con Carne recipe that is full of flavour. Turn the heat up or down with what ever strength of chilli powder you prefer.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
2 mixed peppers yellow and green diced
500 g beef mince
1 tsp chilli powder your choice of strength
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp tomato purée
400 g tin chopped tomatoes
400 g tin kidney beans drained and washed
300 ml beef stock 1 beef stock cube and 300ml hot water
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and peppers and sweat off on a low heat for 5 minutes until the peppers are softened and the onion is translucent.
- Over a medium heat, add the beef mince and mix well breaking it up and browning all over and fry for 5 minutes
- Add the chilli powder, cumin, paprika, tomato puree and mix until well combined. season with salt and pepper and allow to cook out for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, drained and washed kidney beans, stock and Worcestershire sauce, mix well and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 hour.
- Keep an eye on the texture, if the mixture is getting too dry, add a drop of water.and stir occasionally, scraping from the bottom to avoid it catching
- You should now have a nice thick smokey chilli
- Serve with rice, a dolop of sour cream and maybe topped with grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.