Chocolate Hazelnut BrownieCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Get self-indulge with these chocolate and nut Brownies that make for the perfect dessert or sneaky midnight snack.
What You Will Need
Square 23cmx23cm cake frame
Plastic straight edge scraper
Parchment Baking Paper
150 g Dark quality chocolate Callebaut Dark Chocolate Couverture 54%
2 medium Eggs
40 g Castor Sugar
140 g Unsalted butter cut in cubes
35 g Flour
60 g Hazelnuts chopped
- Set the oven to 180°C/160° Fan Assisted/ Gas Mark4
- Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray and place in the middle of oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the skins are blistered.
- Remove from the oven and wrap them in a kitchen towel and let rest for 1 minute.
- Rub the nuts in the towel to remove loose skins (don’t worry about stubborn skins that don’t come off) and cool completely.
- Discard the skins and wrap them back in the towel, using a rolling pin give the hazelnuts a bit of a bash and then by rolling to a reduce to a rough texture. Do not be too aggressive as you really want the nuts to be quite chunky.
- Set aside.
- Prepare a baking tray lined with baking parchment and a 9″ (23cm) square cake frame (if you are going to use a cake TIN then line the tine with baking parchment)
- Place the dark chocolate in a bowl and heat over a pan of simmering water, (Don’t let the bottom of the bowl come in contact with the hot water.) and stir with a wooden spoon or plastic spatula until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Add the cubed butter and combine carefully, until the butter is incorporated and the preparation is smooth.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites
- Place the egg yolks and 10 grams of the sugar into the stand mixer
- Beat egg yolks and sugar vigorously until creamy, foamy, and pale.
- Using a separate spotlessly clean bowl whisk the egg whites and remaining 10 grams of sugar to a stiff meringue.
- Pour the melted chocolate and butter over the whisked egg yolks and combine carefully until incorporated.
- Next, add the meringue to the chocolate preparation and again, combine gently until incorporated.
- Sift the flour into the mixture with ⅓ of the crushed hazelnuts and gently fold in making sure you reach the bottom of the bowl.
- When all the mixture is combined and no flour showing, pour the brownie mixture into the frame and spread out with the plastic scraper to get an even thickness.
- Smooth the top and sprinkle the remainder of the Hazelnuts all over.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for approx 20 and 25 minutes.
- They are ready when they are firm to the touch but still have a slight wobble.
- When the brownie is cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool at room temperature.
- Resist the temptation to try one straight from the oven, (A scolded inside of mouth comes to mind)
- Remove the frame and cut into squares.