Chicken KievCourse: Main CourseCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: medium
Chicken breast pounded and rolled around cold garlic butter, then coated with egg wash and bread crumbs, and either fried or baked or both
75 g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
3 garlic cloves crushed
4 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
4 fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts
75 g plain flour,
2 eggs beaten
150 g fresh breadcrumbs
sunflower oil for frying
sea salt and black pepper
- For the Garlic Butter
- Beat the butter, garlic and parsley together in a small bowl until evenly combined. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place on a sheet of clingfilm and roll into a thick sausage shape and place in the freezer for 10/15 minutes to firm up
- Preparing the chicken
- To prepare the chicken breast, place each breast on a chopping board and using a sharp knife slice through the thicker side; holding the knife parallel to the board until you can open it out flat in one piece
- Place each chicken breast between two sheets of baking parchment or clingfilm and bash with a rolling pin until completely flattened, take care not to bash it out too much that you tear the chicken
- Divide the frozen butter into four pieces and place one on each chicken breast and wrap the flesh around the butter to fully enclose it.
- Place the chicken in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Cooking the Kievs
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/400°F/gas 6.
- Put the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls.
- Firstly coat the chicken breasts in the flour tapping off any excess, then coat in the beaten egg and completely cover with breadcrumbs.
- Fill a large deep pan with oil just enough to cover the chicken when fried (2cm-¾in) and place over a medium–high heat.
- When the oil is hot enough( upto 375°F) place the chicken into the pan, seam side down, and fry for 6 minutes, turning now and again, until it is golden and crisp all over.
- Put the chicken into a roasting tin and bake for about 12 minutes or until cooked through. Test the internal temperature to make sure it reads 165°
- Serve with a nice side salad and Enjoy!