Creamy Coleslaw RecipeCourse: side dishCuisine: DutchDifficulty: Easy
A nice crisp coleslaw can be served as a side for many dishes, including, quiche, burgers, salads, sandwiches, cold meats, to name just a few.
½ white cabbage shredded
2 carrots grated
½ white onion thinly sliced or grated
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Prepare the vegetables **(See notes for the cabbage)
- Put the cabbage, carrots and onion in a large bowl and toss with your hands to combine.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the mustard in another small bowl and add to the veg.
- Fold everything together to coat in the creamy sauce, then season to taste.
- Top Tips
- To stop your coleslaw from going watery and limp after a couple of days, extract the water from the cabbage.
- Cabbage is around 93% water and the slaw dressing will extract the water from the cabbage over time and make the dressing watery.Start off by shredding the cabbage and placing in a colander over a bowl. now sprinkle plenty of salt over the cabbage and toss it with your hands to thoroughly mix.
- Allow the cabbage to stand for at least 2 hours by which time the salt will have extracted most of the water from the cabbage.
- Thoroughly wash the cabbage under cold water to wash of the salt and pat dry with a pape towel before adding the rest of the ingredients