Treacle TartCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Who doesn’t like a syrupy treacle tart served hot with vanilla custard or even vanilla ice cream
What you will need
23 cm loose-bottomed flan tin
350 g Sweet Pastry See Notes – or use shop bought
175 g white breadcrumbs Yesterday’s Bread is Good
725 g golden syrup
1 lemon Zest of
1½ tbsp lemon juice
2 eggs medium
3 tbsp double cream
Extra-thick double cream or vanilla ice cream to serve. to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Make your Sweet Pastry
- Prepare the flan tin for Blind Baking
- Roll out the cooled pastry to approx 3mm and line the baking tin gently pushing the pastry into all creases and crevices. Prick the bottom with a fork several times.
- Cut a strip of greaseproof paper to approx 1″ wider than the tart tin and fold in half and then half again and in half again until you have a dart shape.
- Measure from the centre of the tin and overlap the edge by 1/2″ cut or tear the greaseproof paper to form a circle when opened up.
- Place the paper on the lined tart tin and cover well with Baking beans. (make sure the beans go right to the edge of the tin).
- Place in the oven for approx 15 mins. When baked remove from the oven and remove the beans.
- Place back in the oven for approx 15 mins or until golden brown, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- For the Filling
- Warm the Golden Syrup in a pan over a low heat(You are looking for a runny, not hot texture). Add the lemon zest and Lemon Juice. Remove from the heat and the mixture must be no more than body temperature before you start to stir in the beaten eggs and cream. (This is important otherwise the eggs and cream will separate and the mixture will become grainy). Keep stirring until all the ingredients are combined.
- Place the breadcrumbs into a large bowl and drizzle the syrup mixture over the breadcrumbs allowing the breadcrumbs to absorb the syrup, gently stir the mixture to help with the absorption. Try not to overmix the ingredients.
- Set aside and let the mixture stand for a few minutes. This will allow the breadcrumbs to absorb all the syrup before placing it into the flan casing.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled flan case and spread out evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Place on the middle shelf in the oven and bake for around 45 minutes.
- The finished Tart will be just set and have a golden brown edging.
- Remove from the oven and let it stand for 15 minutes before removing from the flan case.
- Serve with thick double cream, clotted cream or ice cream and you will have nailed it. Enjoy.