Creamy Chicken Mushroom SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: French/American
A super flavoursome Chicken and Mushroom soup that can be eaten as a dinner starter or a lunchtime snack with a sandwich. Delicious
3 chicken breasts Good size, boneless and skinless
225 g cremini mushrooms sliced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced or crushed
2 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1½ pints chicken stock or 2 chicken stock cubes in 900 ml hot water
120 ml White Wine optional
120 ml double cream
salt and black pepper
- Clean and slice mushrooms. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken into large pieces and place into a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes or until no pink showing when cut through the fleshiest part
- Remove from the water and set aside to cool. Retain the liquid for the stock cubes if using.
- Heat up the chicken stock or make up the stock cubes using the hot chicken water made up to 900 ml
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and then add oil.
- Add the onions and garlic and sweat off until translucent.
- Shred the cooled chicken with a fork and add to the onion, allow to cook out for 2 minutes
- Season with salt, pepper and add the thyme and oregano,
- Turn the heat down a little and stir in the flour until fully incorporated and allow to cook out for 3/4 minutes, stirring continuously
- Then add the hot chicken stock a little at a time incorporating completely before adding more
- Once all the chicken stock is added, add the white wine if using and bring to boil, then immediately lower heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the soup for 10 minutes, the soup should be fairly thick and creamy.
- Add the mushrooms and cook out until mushrooms become soft.
- If you feel the soup is too thick add some boiling water to thin out
- Once the mushrooms are nice and tender slowly stir in the cream and fully incorporate
- Add additional seasoning to taste.
- Bring back to serving temperature (Do not allow to boil) and serve