Dorset Apple CakeCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Medium
An apple infused spiced cake to die for. Serve warm with ice cream or even better, clotted cream to send your taste buds into Rhapsody.
150 g butter softened
175 g dark muscovado sugar
2 large eggs beaten
225 g wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
225 g Granny Smith Apples cored and diced (peel if you want to)
For the Topping
1 Large Granny Smith Apple cored cut lengthways and sliced thinly
- Heat the oven to 160C and grease a 20cm cake tin.
- Place the butter and muscovado sugar in a large bowl and cream together until light and creamy. Gradually add the beaten egg..
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon and fold into the butter and sugar mix
- Stir in the apples until well distributed, then tip out into the cake tin
- Smooth the top flat and prepare the single apple by coring it and cut in half lengthways. (Again you can peel it if you want to)
- Slice the apple thinly and arrange on top of the cake mix in a circular fashion
- Sprinkle with the demerara sugar
- Bake for about 1 to 1-1/4 hours, check after 1 hour and test with a skewer to make sure it is baked in the middle.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin then lift onto a rack to cool.
- Serve warm with clotted cream.