Ham and Mushroom PizzaCourse: Brunch, Main CourseCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Not Hard
A combination of smoked ham and mushrooms on top of an Italian tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese makes for a tasty succulent pizza the whole family will love.
- For Pizza Dough
3.5 g ½ sachet dried yeast
½ tsp sugar
125 ml lukewarm water not hot
200 g plain flour All-purpose is good enough plus extra to dust
1 tsp salt
1½ tbsps. olive oil
cornmeal or semolina flour to place on baking tray
- For Topping
125 g Pomodoro Sauce (Italian Tomato Sauce) see Recipe for Pomodoro Sauce
50 g mushrooms thinly sliced
100 g thinly sliced smoked ham
100 g mozzarella cheese sliced into rounds
1 tablespoon olive oil
Small fresh basil leaves to serve
- For the Pizza Dough
- Whisk yeast sugar and water in a jug. Stand for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- Place flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast mixture and oil.
- Using your hands, mix the dough until it comes together and is smooth.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 2/3 minutes
- Make the kneaded dough into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled bowl turning the dough around to lightly cover the whole surface with the oil and cover with cling wrap.
- Set aside in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes to an hour until it doubles in size.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently for another 5/8 minutes or until smooth.
- Cover with a damp clean tea towel and allow to rest for 30 mins
- Preheat the oven to 475°F (245°C). Gas Mark9 and place the oven rack on the lowest shelf. Place a large flat upturned baking tray on the rack to heat up. (Needs to be large enough to hold your Pizza)
- Once the dough has rested knock it with your fists to knock the air out of it and roll out pizza base on a floured surface to the desired size to about 1cm thick
- Line another flat up-turned baking tray with a sheet of baking parchment (this will make it easier to transfer to the oven) and sprinkle it with cornmeal or semolina flour
- Place the rolled out pizza dough onto the baking tray and using your fists gently push from the centre out to produce a rim all around the outer edge, the centre of the pizza should be about 5mm thick and the rim about 1cm
- To prevent the pizza toppings from making your pizza crust soggy, brush the shaped dough lightly with olive oil.
- Using your fingers, gently make indentations into the surface of the dough, this will prevent bubbling
- For the Topping
- Top with ham, mushroom and mozzarella.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Baking your Pizza
- Open the oven and slide the oven rack with the heated baking tray out, now carefully slide the baking parchment with your pizza on onto the heated baking tray
- Bake pizza for 12-15 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Slice hot pizza and serve immediately.