Lemon Drizzle CakeCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Medium
A classic sponge cake with a real lemon drizzle topping that drizzles all the way through the cake. A drizzle to make to dribble.
- For the Cake
A Basic Sponge mix Using the weight of the Eggs to determine the flour and butter and sugar
3 large eggs
170 g self-raising flour
170 g caster sugar
170 g unsalted butter softened
3 Lemons Just the Zest of 3 and juice of 1
- For the Drizzle:
Juice of 2 lemons the ones you zested
110 g Icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c / 350f
- Lightly grease and flour a loaf tin (about 24cm x 10.4cm) or an 8″(20cm) round removable base tin. If you are using a loaf tin it is a good idea to line the tin with baking parchment for easier removing. See Video
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs slowly until the mixture is well combined
- Mix in the juice of 1 lemon
- Gently fold in the flour, producing a smooth batter
- Pour into your cake tin and place in the oven for about 30-35mins.
- Let’s make the Drizzle
- Mix the Icing sugar and the juice from the other2 lemons until totally smooth, set to one side.
- Around about the 30-minute mark of baking, check the cake by inserting a thin skewer into the middle, if it comes out clean it’s done. If not, give it a few more minutes.
- Once the cake is ready and while it is still hot, let the cake remain in the tin and using the skewer, poke holes all over the cake, all the way down but don’t pierce the bottom. Pour 2/3 of the lemon glaze very gradually, moving backwards and forwards letting the glaze soak into the cake.
- Let the cake cool down to room temperature before drizzling over the remaining lemon glaze
- Remove from the cake tin, Serve and Enjoy