Mince Crumble SliceCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: britishDifficulty: Easy
An alternative to mince pies at Christmas. This shortbread mince slice crumble is so easy to make and the buttery shortbread gives it a delicious finish.
What You Will Need
23cm square Baking Tin
- For the Shortbread
260 grams all-purpose flour
2 grams salt
225 grams unsalted butter at room temperature
75 grams light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mincemeat Filling
400 grams mincemeat homemade or a shop-bought jar
- Preheat your oven to 350° F/180° C/Gas Mark 4 and place the oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Grease and Line a 9 inch (23 cm) square baking tin with baking parchment (See video)
- In a separate bowl sieve together the flour with the salt.
- In the bowl of your electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy
- Add the flour mixture and on a slow speed bring together until just incorporated, you will have clumps of batter rather than a ball of dough.
- Divide the dough into ⅓ and ⅔ and evenly press the two-thirds of the shortbread onto the bottom of the prepared baking tin, Make sure the base is even and smooth
- Lightly prick all over with a fork.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 15/18 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes, then evenly spread the mincemeat over the shortbread base
- With the remaining ⅓ of the shortbread dough, using your fingertips, crumble it over the top of the mincemeat.
- Lightly press the crumble onto the filling.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and while still warm, sprinkle all over with icing sugar and cut into 16 squares.
- Allow to cool completely in pan.
- Serve with fresh Clotted Cream