Mulligatawny Soup (vegetarian)Course: SoupsCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Moderate
This tasty curry soup is perfect on a cold winter day. It’s packed with veggies, flavour, and is deeply satisfying served with some warm crusty bread on the side.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 white onion chopped
1 carrot peeled and chopped
1 small apple chopped
2 small potatoes peeled and chopped
4 sticks celery chopped
4 tsp curry paste
150 g lentils
1000 ml vegetable stock 2 veggie stock cubes in 1000ml boiling water
20 g coconut cream
A pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- To Garnish
A splash soya cream optional
1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the prepared vegetables, onions, garlic, carrots, and celery and sweat off until tender (about 10 min).
- When veggies are tender, add the curry powder to the pot, stir well and cook out for a minute or two.
- Add the prepared potato, lentils, coconut milk, and broth to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- After about 20 minutes, or once lentils are soft, add the apple and salt and pepper to taste, replace the lid and allow to simmer for about another 10
- Once veggies are nice and tender, use a stick blender or food blender (do not fill the food blender over half full and hold the lid down with a tea towel) until nice and smooth.
- If using a food blender, return the soup to the saucepan, add the lime juice, and stir well.
- Bring back to a simmer
- Serve immediately garnished with a sprinkling of chopped coriander and a swirl of soya cream if desired.