Pecan PieCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
A popular American dessert that is delicious served with cream or ice cream.
Sweet pastry (see sweet pastry recipe)
450 g pecan nuts
3 large free-range eggs
175 g golden caster sugar
100 ml maple syrup
100 ml molasses or black treacle
50 g unsalted butter melted
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas
- Line a 9″ flan tin with your short pastry and blind bake (See Video)
- Take ⅓ your pecans and wrap them in a clean tea towel.
- Using a rolling pin, bash them up fairly fine, you don’t want the nuts too fine, so as to create a crunch when eaten.
- The Filling
- Place the eggs, sugar, molasses, maple syrup, melted butter and vanilla extract in a bowl and using a whisk, mix well until nicely combined.
- Add your finely bashed pecans and mix again with a spoon until completely blended and smooth.
- Pour this mixture into your prepared pastry case.
- Arrange the rest of the whole Pecan nuts evenly over the top of the mixture,
- If you place them carefully they will just float on the top
- Put the tart into the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden brown
- The filling will rise in the oven and wobble slightly in the middle but will settle as it cools.
- Remove and leave to cool in the tin to let it set, before serving.
- Serve slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream