Banana BreadCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Got some over-ripe Bananas? Use them up in this delicious Banana Bread recipe. Made with brown sugar which enhances the flavour and baked Bananas if you prefer.
What You Will Need
2lb Loaf Tin
140 g butter softened,
140 g soft brown sugar
2 large eggs slightly beaten
140 g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 large ripe bananas baked(optional) and mashed
*for baking banans see notes
- Heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Place the ripe bananas into a small bowl and mash them well with a fork until you have a nice creamy paste
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl
- With either a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer still beating, gradually add the beaten eggs
- Fold in the mashed bananas and then the flour and baking powder, don’t overmix the mixture, fold until all the flour is just combined
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin level the top and bake for about 50/60 mins, or until cooked through.
- Check the loaf by inserting a thin skewer into the middle of the loaf. (It should come out clean),
- If the skewer is sticky give the loaf another 5 minutes and test again
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Remove the baking parchment. Your Banana Bread is now ready to enjoy however it pleases you. **see notes.
- Baking Bananas before you use them in Banana bread gives them a creamier and sweeter texture. To bake Banans: Lay them out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place them in an oven set to 350F/175C/gas mark4Bake them for about 12 minutes until they have turned completely black
Let them cool long enough to handle. Split the skins lengthways and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl ready to use in your Banana Bread.
- ** Eating Banana Bread the following day will enhance the flavour of the loaf. Wrap the cooled loaf in baking parchment and leave at room temperature overnight.
- Delightful for a breakfast snack.