Chocolate SpongeCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
A rich chocolate sponge cake that can be used for a variety of different products. Especially ideal for Black Forest Gateaux
225 g plain flour
350 g golden caster sugar
85 g cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 free-range eggs
250 ml milk
125 ml vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
250 ml boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
- Grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich tins. see notes
- Place all the ingredients, (except the boiling water), into a large mixing bowl.
- Using a plastic spatula combine the ingredients until almost mixed
- Gradually add the boiling water a little at a time, until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the cake batter evenly between the sandwich tins and place in the oven to bake for 25–35 minutes.
- The sponges will be ready when the top is firm to the touch and springs back when gently pushed. Use a skewer inserted into the centre of the sponge to make sure it comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool in the tins, before turning out and using as so desired.
- When choosing your baking tins, always use Sandwich tins as opposed to loose-bottomed tins, as the mixture is going to be very liquid and this will prevent any leakage.