Creamy Pasta Carbonara RecipeCourse: Main CourseCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Medium
A truly authentic Carbonara sauce served with spaghetti
3 large free-range egg yolks
40 g Parmesan cheese plus extra to serve
150 g pancetta
200 g spaghetti
1 clove of garlic
extra virgin olive oil
- Place the egg yolks into a bowl add the finely grated Parmesan and season with pepper (No Salt), mix well and put to one side.
- Cut the pancetta into small cubes and set aside
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water until al dente. ** See notes
- Meanwhile, while the spaghetti is cooking, add 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- Peel the garlic, then crush with a rolling pin or the handle of a heavy knife, add it to the pan and let it cook out for a minute to flavour the oil. Agitate the pan so as all the oil gets some garlic.
- Place the pancetta in the pan and cook for 4 minutes, or until it starts to crisp up.
- If you feel that the Pancetta has produced more rendered fat than there should be, drain some off.
- You are looking for the meat to be shallow frying, not swimming in fat.
- Remove the garlic from the pan, drain and add the spaghetti. ( keep some of the cooking water,)
- Toss well over the heat so the spaghetti is thoroughly soaked in all the pancetta and fat,
- Now remove the pan from the heat.
- Add a splash of the reserved spaghetti cooking water and toss well, to loosen the spaghetti, season with pepper, then pour in the egg mixture ( the heat from the pan will cook the egg gently, rather than scrambling it.)
- Mix and toss well, adding more cooking water if necessary until it’s creamy and has a gloss.
- Place into separate serving dishes and finish with a grating of Parmesan cheese.