Vegetarian ChilliCourse: Main CourseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
A delicious Easy to cook Vegetarian Chili that is full of healthy vegetables and beans.
2 tbsp olive oil extra-virgin
1 medium red onion roughly chopped
1 lge red bell pepper deseeded and roughly chopped
2 medium carrots roughly chopped
2 stalks of celery roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 28 oz can whole plum tomatoes
1 15 oz can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can pinto beans rinsed and drained
1 15oz can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can sweetcorn drained
½ tsp salt
400 ml vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
30 g chopped fresh coriander
2 tsp lime juice to taste
- Place a large heavy-bottomed pot, or ovenproof casserole dish, over medium heat, and heat the olive oil until quite hot.
- Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery
- Stir to combine and sweat off, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chilli powder, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano.
- Combine with the vegetables and gently cook stirring constantly for about 1 minute until fragrant
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, breaking down the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, add the drained beans and sweetcorn, vegetable stock, salt and bay leaf.
- Stir to combine and let the mixture come to a simmer.
- Let the chilli cookout over a gentle heat, stirring now and then for 30 minutes, uncovered until reduced and thickened.
- Add the chopped coriander(Keep some back for service) lime juice, stir to blend, .
- Serve as it is or over plain boiled rice sprinkled with remaining coriander