Apple Rhubarb Crumble RecipeCourse: DessertsCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
A seasonal favourite, Apples and Rhubarb go together superbly well and when topped with a crunchy oaty crumble and served with vanilla ice cream, make the perfect family dessert.
What You Will Need
medium-sized oven-proof baking dish
400 g rhubarb stalks trimmed and chopped into 1″ pieces
3 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 lemon zested and juiced
50 g caster sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
75 g butter cold and diced
75 g plain flour
50 g soft light brown sugar
50 g rolled oats
3 tbsp chopped mixed nuts pecans or walnuts work well
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C/400°F/ Gas 6
- Place the rhubarb and apples in a large pan over a medium heat, with a splash of water, add the lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, just gently mix together to completely coat the fruit, then leave to gently cookout for 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly then place into your baking dish spread evenly over the bottom
- In a medium-sized bowl, rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until you produce a breadcrumb-like consistency.
Add the lemon zest, brown sugar, oats and nuts and mix well together
- Spread evenly over the fruit.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 mins until crisp and bubbling around the edges.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy