Thai Red Chicken CurryCourse: mainCuisine: ThaiDifficulty: moderate
This classic Thai red chicken curry is simple to make. Red peppers, green beans and mushrooms are added with the chicken for an extra helping of veg, this delicious homemade Thai curry is ready in just 35 minutes.
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves crushed
5 cm piece ginger grated
1 lemongrass stalk bashed with a rolling pin
5 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1 red pepper deseeded and sliced
4 skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
125 ml coconut milk full fat
75 ml chicken stock use about ½ a stock cube in boiling water
100 g green beans topped and tailed, cut into 1″ lengths
8 button mushrooms halved
½ tbsp fish sauce or to taste
coriander leaves roughly chopped, to serve
1 lime sliced to serve
steamed rice to serve
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the onion.
- Cook for 3 minutes until translucent, then add the garlic, ginger, lemongrass and red curry paste.
- Cook for 1 min, stirring continuously, then add the red pepper and chicken.
- Continue to stir the chicken and peppers occasionally for 4-5 mins, until the chicken is golden brown.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken stock and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the green beans and mushrooms and continue to cook out for a further 10 mins, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat, remove the lemongrass and stir in the fish sauce.
- Scatter with coriander leaves and serve with rice and a slice of lime