Baked Rice PuddingCourse: DessertCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Creamy baked rice pudding – perfect comfort dessert.
50 g butter
75 g soft brown sugar
100 g pudding rice
1 lt full cream milk
½ lemon zest only
1 vanilla pod or ½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon
150 ml double cream
1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/275°F/gas mark 1.
- Add the milk to a saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- De-seed the vanilla pod if using by splitting the pod down the middle and with the back of a knife scrape the seeds from the pod, add the seeds and pod/vanilla extract to the milk and allow the milk to warm through
- Melt the butter in a deep saucepan and add the sugar and cinnamon
- Continue stirring and heat gently until all the sugar has dissolved
- Add the rice and continue stirring until all the rice is well coated with the butter and sugar. the rice should puff up slightly
- Add the coated rice to the baking dish
- Remove the vanilla pod from the warmed milk and gently pour it onto the rice, stirring with a wooden spoon to disperse any lumps.
- Pour in the cream, lemon zest and salt, and mix well
- Carefully transfer the baking dish to the oven
- Bake in the oven for 2/2½ hours, until the pudding has developed a golden brown skin and is just beginning to set.
- Leave to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes, before serving