Broccoli and Stilton SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
A flavoursome heart-warming soup for those cold winters nights
100 g butter
1 medium white onion finely sliced
800 ml vegetable stock/chicken stock
150 ml cream
800 g broccoli
200 g stilton
Nutmeg to garnish
1 small French Baguette
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat and add the onion.
- Sweat of the onion gently until soft and translucent.
- Meanwhile, remove the florets of broccoli from the stalks, peel and cut the stalks into smallish chunks, add to the softened onions, cook for a minute, then pour in the stock.
- For the Soup
- Bring to a simmer, and cook until the stalk is beginning to soften.
- Once the stalk is almost tender, add the florets to the pan along with the cream, crumble most of the Stilton into the soup, keeping some back for croutons,
- Stir well, bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the florets are soft.
- Allow to cool slightly, then puree in a food processor or with a stick blender until smooth.
- Croutons and Service
- Cut 4 diagonal slices of the baguette about ½” thick and toast on both sides.
- Sprinkle the top of each with the remaining Stilton and replace under the grill to melt the cheese.
- Taste and season the soup if necessary, then divide between 4 bowls and sprinkle with grated nutmeg, top with a cheesy crouton and serve.