Chicken Ham and Leek Pie, a British pub favourite that is equally a family favourite. A chicken and ham mix in a creamy leek sauce topped of with a buttery flaky crust. What’s not to like.
Chicken Ham and Leek PieCourse: Main CourseCuisine: BritishDifficulty: medium
This pie is all about the ingredients that it is made up with.
The Meat: succulent chicken breast is the norm, but there’s nothing to say that a mixture of thighs and legs can’t be used, the choice is yours, just make sure there is plenty. As for the ham, I prefer to use tender of the bone, thickly cut meat for its flavour, but again any good quality ham is fine, make it thick cut though.
The Vegetables: obviously Leeks, make sure you wash them thoroughly in all the folds and then just garlic is enough to give the pie some extra flavour.
The Sauce: a creamy chicken veloute, with a dash of white wine makes for a combination of meat and sauce that will have those taste buds drooling.
The Pastry: this is really a personal choice, personally I prefer the rich buttery texture of a flaky pastry, but if you prefer a shortcrust pastry then go for it. It’s all about what’s under the pastry that makes this pie a true favourite
2 large cooked chicken breasts shredded or sliced into bite-sized chunks
150 grams thick cut gammon ham
2 Leeks washed sliced from top to bottom and cut into ½” chunks
2 garlic cloves minced
25 grams Butter
50 grams Plain flour
200 ml Chicken stock
150 ml Double cream
100 ml White wine
Salt + Pepper to taste
375 grams Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200c/180c Fan/Gas 6.
- Melt the butter in a thick bottomed pan on a low heat and add the sliced leeks.
- Sweat the leeks off for 2/3 minutes and add the garlic, let this cookout for a further 1 minute.
- Add the flour and stir to combine with the leeks and form a roux.
- Slowly add the chicken stock until you have a nice smooth leek sauce.
- Add the wine and cook on low heat for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream, add salt and pepper to taste, pour into a bowl and cover the surface with cling film to prevent a skin forming. Set aside to cool
- Meanwhile, chop (or shred, your choice) the chicken into small chunks, cut the ham into 1″ batons.
- When the leek sauce has cooled sufficiently, stir in the chicken and ham.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry flat and trim of a strip to line the rim of the pie dish.
- Fill the dish with the chicken and ham mix and lightly moisten the pastry on the rim
- Roll the remainder of the pastry on to a rolling pin and unroll over the top of the pie.
- Press the edges down together and trim the remainder of the pastry away.
- Decorate the edges by crimping or the back of a fork (see video)
- Beat an egg with a little milk and brush all over the top, make a criss-cross slit with a sharp knife in the center of the pie crust to let the steam out whilst baking.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve with seasonal veggies and Enjoy!