Chicken Mushroom Pie RecipeCourse: Main CourseCuisine: BritishDifficulty: moderate
Chicken and mushroom pie is a common British pie, that is also one of the most popular types of savoury pie in the country.
4 large chicken breasts skinned and boned
Knob of butter
1 large Bunch of spring onions
150 g button mushrooms
50 g wild mushrooms Cremini, Portabello, or Shiitake for exanple
1 tbsp plain flour
2 tsp English mustard
1- tbsp crème fraîche
250 ml chicken stock 1 chicken stock cube in 250 ml of hot water
50 ml white wine
Fresh thyme removed from the stalks
½ tsp nutmeg grated
375 g Puff pastry ready rolled
1 egg/splash of milk
seasoning of sea salt and black pepper
- Turn oven to 200C/ 400F.
- Cut chicken into 1cm strip
- In a large saucepan heat the butter and a splash of olive oil
- add the chicken and cook out turning frequently until cooked through
- add the diced spring onions and chopped mushrooms.
- allow to sweat off for a couple of minutes, then add the flour and completely combine
- Allow the flour to cook out for another 2/3 minutes
- Add the mustard, crème freche and stir in
- gradually stir in the chicken stock a little at a time to avoid lumping
- add the wine, thyme, nutmeg and seasoning to taste
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes (Stirring occasionally) to thicken and reduce, then remove from the heat to cool down
- Unroll the sheet of puff pastry on to the floured surface, if needed roll out to a few centimeters larger that the pie dish
- Pour the cooled chicken filling into baking dish.
- roll the pastry onto your rolling pin and drape over the pie dish
- now seal the pastry to the edges of the pie dish, try not to stretch the pastry, tuck in any overlap to form a collar.
- Mix the egg with a splash of milk, whisk to combine and brush over the top of the pie.
- Place in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is a nice golden brown
- serve with baby minted new potatoes buttered carrots and crisp green veggies.