Coconut and Lime CupcakesCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Classic cupcake recipe with added zesty lime and coconut, topped with tangy lime frosting
What You Will Need
12 hole muffin tray
12 paper cupcake cases
Piping Bag and Large Star Piping tube
175 g unsalted butter room temperature
120 g caster sugar
2 large eggs beaten
grated zest of 1 lime
50 g desiccated coconut
150 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1-2 tbsp milk if needed
- For the Frosting
110 g Butter softened
240 g Icing sugar sieved
1 tbsp Lime Juice
1 tbsp Lime zest
1 Lime thinly sliced for decoration
pinch of salt
splash of milk if necessary
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°Cfan/350°F/Gas 4
- Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
- In a large bowl beat together (with a hand mixer) the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, a little at a time mixing well between each addition.
- Beat in the lime zest and desiccated coconut.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and gently fold them into the creamed mixture and mix until smooth, if you feel the mixture is a little stiff, loosen with a little milk.
- Using a tablespoon, divide the batter between the paper cases filling just below the top of the case.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the cakes are golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tray for 10 minutes before transferring the cakes to a wire rack to completely cool.
- For the frosting
- Beat together the softened butter, icing sugar, lime zest and lime juice and a pinch of salt until smooth. (Start slowly, otherwise you will end up with a face full of icing sugar)
- Again if you feel the frosting is a little firm to pipe add a dash of milk to loosen it up, not to loose as you want the icing to stand firm
- Fill a piping bag with a large star piping tube and half fill with frosting.
- Starting from the outside, pipe the frosting around to the middle
- Grate some lime zest over the cakes and place half a thin slice of lime on top to finish.