Creme AnglaiseCourse: DessertCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Medium
A classic vanilla custard sauce simply made, with only eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla. This is REAL Custard.
6 Egg yolks
250 ml Whole Milk
250 ml Double Cream
60 g Castor Sugar
2 Vanilla pods or ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Place the milk and cream into a saucepan over a low-medium heat.
- Add the vanilla extract, if using vanilla pods, split the pods down the center lengthways and with the back of a knife scrape the seeds from the skins. Add these to the milk and cream, throw in the pods as well for extra flavour
- Heat the cream and milk until just beginning to simmer. (Bubbles appearing around the edge).
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- This will also allow the vanilla to infuse before adding to the egg mix.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl, until nice and smooth
- Gradually pour in the slightly warm milk, whisking continuously, until you have a smooth liquid
- Pour the egg and cream mixture into a clean saucepan and place over a low heat,
- It’s important to keep the sauce agitated at all times while it is being heated.
- Gently heat the sauce, whisking continuously, do not rush this part of the procedure, otherwise, you could end up with the eggs scrambling.
- Continue to heat until the liquid thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, this may take 10 minutes or more, be patient.
- Once the cream is to the desired consistency, remove the vanilla pod and pass the sauce through a fine strainer into the serving boat