Creme CaramelCourse: DessertCuisine: EuropeanDifficulty: Easy
A throw back to the 1980’s and 90’s, the Creme Caramel still holds the charm of a delicious rich custard topped with a dark sweet caramel.
- For the Crème
500 ml Full Fat milk
1 vanilla pod
100 g Golden caster sugar
4 egg yolks
- For the Caramel
60 g caster sugar
60 g soft dark brown sugar
- To make the Caramel
- Put the caramel sugar into a heavy-based saucepan (Not a Non-Stick pan) and just barely cover with water.
- Do not stir
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, turn down the heat to a gentle simmer and let the mixture turn to syrup.
- It’s a good idea to occasionally brush the sides of the saucepan down with a little cold water to stop any crystallisation.
- The syrup will start to turn a light shade of brown, keep an eye on it carefully now as it will darken quite quickly.
- Gently swirl the pan to even out the colour and once the syrup has turned a nice dark caramel colour remove from the heat and divide between the Ramekins, tilting each one as you go to fully cover the base.
- Set aside to set
- To make the Crème
- Pour the milk into a saucepan, split the vanilla pod down the middle and scrape the seeds into the milk, throw in the pod.
- Bring to the boil, then immediately remove from the heat and set aside
- Put the eggs and yolks into a heatproof bowl and whisk together.
- Add the sugar and whisk gently to just combine.
- Remove the vanilla pod from the milk and slowly little by little pour the milk into the eggs, whisking continuously,
- Do not rush this part otherwise you will end up with scrambled eggs, then set aside for 10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 130°C/265°F/gas mark 1
- Place 6 Ramekins into a deep-sided baking dish, skim any foam from the top of the custard, and fill the ramekins almost to the top through a fine sieve.
- Place the baking tray onto the middle shelf of the oven and using a kettle, fill the tray ⅔ of the way up the Ramekins. with hot water. (This is a Bain-Marie)
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until the custard is set but still slightly wobbly at the centre.
- Remove the bain-marie from the oven and lift the Ramakins out of the water and set aside to cool.
- Once cool enough place in the refrigerate to completely set.
- To serve the Crème Caramel run a slim knife around the inside of each mould and turn them out on to serving dishes.