Double Chocolate Chip MuffinsCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
These Muffins are for true chocoholics, with 3 versions of chocolate mixed in with a soft fluffy muffin batter that will leave your taste buds yearning for more.
What You Will Need
12 hole muffin tray
280 g all-purpose flour
75 g unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
250 g granulated sugar
2 large eggs
300 ml buttermilk
55 g unsalted butter melted and cooled
60 ml vegetable oil
2 teaspoons espresso powder optional
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100 g dark chocolate chips
100 g dark chocolate bar keep in fridge until needed
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C) / 380 F (190 C) fan-assisted/Gas mark 6
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda, cocoa powder and coffee powder if using
- Add sugar and combine well with a wooden spoon.
- You now need to melt the butter,
- This can be done in two ways, using a microwave, checking every 15 seconds until melted, or over a bain-marie (a bowl over a pan of simmering water)
- Either way, when the butter is melted, leave to cool back to room temperature before…….
- Adding the vanilla, eggs, oil and buttermilk to the cooled butter and whisk gently until combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, add the butter mix and gently fold the batter until combined. Having some flour still showing is not a problem
- Using a cerated edge bread knife break up the dark chocolate bar into small chunks and mix with the choc chips
- Add ¾ of the chocolate to the mix and gently fold in using a spatula or wooden spoon until just combined. This will also mix in any surplus flour
- You need to be very gentle here and take care not to over mix the batter
- Fill your muffin cases, almost to the top of the cases
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate evenly over the tops of the muffins
- Place in the hot oven and bake for 5 minutes and without opening the oven door turn the heat down to 350 F (180 C) / 320 F (160 C) fan-assisted/ Gas Mark 4.5. and bake for a further 10-15 minutes
- Test with a cocktail stick or thin skewer inserted into the middle to see if it comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to stand for 10 minutes then remove them from the muffing tray and cool completely on a cooling rack.