Fish Pie with Crushed Potato ToppingCourse: Main CourseCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Medium
Salmon, and Hake in a creamy leek sauce, topped with spinach and then crushed potatoes, drizzled with olive oil to make a lovely crunchy topping
75 g butter plus extra for greasing
1 large leek trimmed and cut into 1⁄4in thick slices
50 g plain flour
600 ml milk warmed
1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
finely grated zest of 1⁄2 lemon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
400 g hake fillet skinned and cut into 1in chunks
400 g salmon fillet skinned and cut into 1in chunks
200 g fresh spinach
- For the Topping
800 g new potatoes such as Charlotte, scrubbed
4 tbsp olive oil
- Grease the baking dish with butter.
- Place the milk in a saucepan over a low heat and let it warm through to just below boiling
- Melt 50g of the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the leek and sweat off for 3 minutes or until softened but not browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gradually pour in the hot milk in stages, thoroughly incorporating the milk at each stage
- Once all the milk has been added, return the pan to a medium heat and stir until boiling, thickened, and smooth.
- Stir in the dill, lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the hake and salmon to the sauce.
- Cook over a low heat for 2 minutes, stirring gently twice, just to start cooking the fish.
- Pour the fish mixture into the buttered baking dish and set aside to cool.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large, non-stick, deep-sided frying pan or sauté pan over a medium heat.
- Add the spinach cover with a lid and cook, stirring, for 1 1⁄2 – 2 minutes or until it wilts.
- Drain thoroughly in a colander, press the spinach down with the back of a wooden spoon to get as much of the excess moisture out, roughly chop and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (fan 180ºC/400ºF/Gas 6).
- Place the potatoes in a large pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until just cooked.
- Drain well and using a fork, break the potatoes down into rough, chunky pieces.
- Stir in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the spinach on top of the cooled fish mixture, then spoon the potatoes all over everything.
- Drizzle over the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and bake for 30–40 minutes or until the pie is bubbling at the edges and the topping is golden and crispy.
- Serve and enjoy
Recipe adapted from