Chicken Breast in Creamy Mushroom SauceCourse: Main CourseCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Medium
Succulent chicken breasts cooked in the oven with herby butter and finished with a creamy mushroom sauce
- Prepping the Chicken
3 Garlic Cloves
2 tsp Dried Thyme
250 g Butter softened
Salt + Pepper
4 chicken breasts skin on
- Mushroom Sauce
30 g unsalted butter
300 g mushrooms sliced (cremini or portabello)
1 sml white onion finely diced
120 ml dry white wine
120 ml chicken stock ½ chicken stock cube in 120 ml of hot water
240 ml double cream
125 g parmesan freshly grated
- To Serve
40 g parsley roughly chopped
- Turn the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6
- Dice/mince the garlic cloves until fine and place in a small bowl.
- Add the dried thyme and softened butter.
- Mix together to form a buttery paste
- Loosen the skin on the chicken breasts with your fingers, to form a pocket.
- Place a ¼ of the herby butter under the skin, replace the skin over the butter and run your hand along the skin to smooth out the butter and it is evenly spread. (See Video)
- Repeat with other 3 breasts
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts into a baking dish and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- For the Mushroom Sauce
- 10 minutes before the chicken is cooked, start to make the sauce
- Place the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat, when the butter has melted throw in the onion and sweat off until translucent.
- Turn the heat up to medium/high and add the mushrooms
- Continue cooking for 4/5 minutes until both onion and mushrooms are golden.
- If any liquid appears, keep cooking until the liquid has evaporated
- Add white wine and allow to cook out for 30 seconds to burn off the alcohol,
- Add chicken stock, allow to boil for 1 minute or so, to reduce down slightly.
- Then add cream, lower heat to medium and simmer for 3/4 minutes until it reduces and thickens slightly. Keep stirring
- Add the parmesan cheese and season to taste
- Remove the chicken from the oven and carefully place in the sauce, skin side down, along with any juices that may be in the tray
- Turn the chicken breasts over and spoon the sauce over the chicken and allow to simmer for 1 minute
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley, fine green beans and baby new potatoes