Madeira SauceCourse: SaucesCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Medium
Madeira Sauce is a brown, wine sauce that is predominantly made from Madeira wine. There are other variations of this sauce, depending on the dishes that the sauce is accompanying. Just by adding mushrooms, you have a delicious mushroom sauce to serve with steaks or other meat dishes. Add extra peppercorns for “au Poivre”. Madeira sauces are typically used to complement meats, stews, and savoury dishes.
200 ml beef stock
130 ml Madeira wine
100 ml dry red wine
10 g butter room temperature
10 g flour
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine Beef stock, wines and bouquet garni
- Bring to the boil and simmer for around 20 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by half.
- meanwhile, mix the butter and flour together in a small bowl until nice and smooth. This is your beurre manie
- Once the liquid has reduced pick out the bouquet garni and discard.
- few minutes before serving, whisk the beurre manie into the simmering sauce.
- Simmer until smooth and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- The sauce should coat the back of a spoon.
- Pass through a fine sieve into a sauceboat and serve.