Mary Berry Gingerbread RecipeCourse: dessertCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Another beautiful recipe from the queen of baking Mary Berry, with her sticky but so light and full of flavour Gingerbread Mary featured this recipe in her BBC2 program Simple Comforts and features in her Simple Comforts Cook Book (See Notes)
What You Will Need
23 x 30cm tray bake
225 g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
100 g butter, diced
100 g black treacle
100 gl golden syrup
100 g light muscovado sugar
1 egg beaten
275 ml full-fat milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F/Gas 4.
- lightly butter and line a 9″x12″ deep baking tray with baking paper.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate, ginger and mixed spice into a large bowl.
- Place the butter, treacle, syrup and sugar into a small saucepan and heat gently until the butter has just melted.
- Set aside to cool a little.
- Once cooled, make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the butter mixture into the bowl add the beaten egg, a splash of milk and beat with a wooden spoon until totally combined.
- Gradually add the remainder of the milk, beating to make a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for about 35 minutes or until dark golden and springy to the touch.
- Test with a thin skewer by inserting through the top, if it comes out clean your bake is cooked
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before cutting into 24 pieces in the tin
- Serve on its own or with Creme Anglaise or Vanilla ice cream for a dessert
- Adapted From Mary Berry “Simple Comforts”