Plain Boiled RiceCourse: Side DishesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A simple recipe to make fluffy boiled rice
1 cup Basmati Rice
2 cups water
tbsp olive oil
- Firstly you need to wash the rice under cold water for a minute or two to get rid of the excess starch.
- You need a medium-sized pan placed on a medium heat to warm through.
- Add the Olive oil and heat it up.
- Add the rice and gently stir the rice around so the grains are coated with the oil.
- Add the 2 cups of water (This can be boiling water to speed up cooking time, but not necessary). Just make sure the water is double the volume of the rice.
- Add the salt and gently stir the rice to make sure it is separated, this will be the only time you stir, place the lid on the pan and turn the heat down so the water is barely turning over.
- Cookout for approx 15 minutes.
- Resist the urge to stir the rice, you will break the grains and end up with starchy rice.
- When all the water has been absorbed remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid and replace the lid with a folded cloth or tea towel.
- Leave to stand for about 10 minutes. The cloth is going to absorb the excess steam and keep the grains dry and separate.
- Now gently fluff up the grains of rice with a fork.