Potato and Leek Soup (Vichyssoise) with croutonsCourse: SoupsCuisine: britishDifficulty: Easy
An absolute favourite in the soup category that is so simple to make, full of flavour and served with Croutons.
2 slices White Bread Thick Sliced
700 grams Potatoes
1.2 litres Vegetable Stock or Chicken Stock
2 Bay Leaves
2 chives chopped
150 grams Fresh Fromage Frais optional
- Prepare the Croutons.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/175 C
- Trim the crusts off of the bread and brush both sides with melted butter.
- Cut into slices the same thickness as the bread, and then cut the slices the same thickness again so you end up with small cubes.
- Lay out on a flat baking tray and place in the oven for around 15 mins or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool.
- The Soup
- Place the chopped onion and leek in a large saucepan with the bay leaves sweat them of in a knob of butter, when they have softened down add 150ml of the stock.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the potato and the remaining stock and season lightly.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes until tender.
- Pick out bay leaves and transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until nice and smooth and return to the saucepan.
- (Blend in the fromage frais, if you want to), and reheat gently do not let the soup boil at this stage.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve topped with the chopped chives and a handful of croutons.
- This soup can be cooled to room temperature, covered with clingfilm, and placed in the refrigerator to cool right of, and then served as a delightful summer starter.