Tomato Red Pepper and Basil SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Tomatoes, Onion, Garlic and Red Peppers make up this quick and easy Tomato and Basil soup. Full of flavour and so easy to make.
1 kg tomatoes halved lengthways
1 red onion Roughly Chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 red pepper Seeded and slice into thin strips
2 tbsp Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp caster sugar
10 g fresh basil chopped
1 tsp oregano
500 ml vegetable stock good quality, sugar-free or make your own
Croutons to serve (Make your own)
double cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Place the tomatoes, facing up, in a roasting tin, with the red peppers, onion and garlic
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place in the oven for one hour.
- You will find that the tomatoes will have dried out a little, and the peppers and onion will be nice and soft.
- De-skin the cloves of garlic, and blend all the roasted ingredients.
- Return the blended mixture to a thick bottomed large pot and add the oregano and basil.
- Gradually add the stock until you reach the required consistency (You may not need all 500ml)
- Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Seasoning to taste and again blend the soup until smooth.
- Stick Blender may be useful here.
- Place in serving bowls swirl with double cream, sprinkle with homemade croutons and serve immediately.
- If you fancy making a batch for future use adjust the serving number to get the correct quantities, and when the soup is ready, let it cool off and place in the refrigerator or freezer.