Red Lentil BologneseCourse: Main CourseCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Medium
You don’t have to have a vegetarian lifestyle to enjoy this delicious dish. Packed with Tomatoes and other veggies you will love what this meal from the Vegetarian Society has to offer
small white onion finely diced
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 carrots finely diced
2 sticks celery finely diced
120 g dried red lentils
400 g tin plum tomatoes roughly diced
600 ml vegetable stock
3 tsp fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano and tarragon) Finely chopped- mixed dried herbs will do just as well
10 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
fresh basil to serve
A little grated vegetarian parmesan cheese
Pasta, (Your Choice) cooked
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Gently sweat them off until they turn translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, carrot and celery, and cook off for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- SWtir in the tomato puree and add the tinned tomatoes, lentils, and herbs and combine everything together.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are soft.
- Remove from the heat and add the cherry tomatoes.
- Serve immediately over cooked pasta and garnish with fresh basil and grated vegetarian parmesan cheese.