Bread SauceCourse: SaucesCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
The perfect accompaniment for Roast Turkey on Christmas Day. So easy to make
300 ml milk Full Fat or Semi-Skimmed
150 ml single cream
1 white onion peeled and studded with cloves
1 bay leaf
80 g fresh bread crumbs
25 g butter
- Peel and stud the onion with 7/8 cloves
- Place the milk, cream, studded onion, and bay leaf into a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, keep an eye on it, milk will come to the boil suddenly.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to stand for about 10 mins.
- Now remove the onion, add the bread crumbs and stir with a wooden spoon, return to a low to medium heat and simmer for 4/5 minutes, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth. If the sauce becomes to thick add more milk and reheat.
- Beat in the butter, season with salt, black pepper and grated nutmeg to taste and serve.