Pesto SauceCourse: SaucesCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
A simple classic Italian Pesto Sauce to use on Pasta, as a sauce with grilled fish or even stirred into some soups
What You Will Need
50 g pine nuts
100 g basil
50 g grated parmesan cheese
olive oil extra virgin as needed
2 garlic cloves
fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
- Spread the pine nuts on a small baking tray and place in the oven for 5–10 minutes, until lightly toasted
- Keep an eye on them as they colour quite quickly.
- Leave to cool..
- Place the basil leaves, garlic cloves and cooled pine nuts into a food processor
- Pulse until all the ingredients are combined, be careful not to over mix, the sauce should be rustic
- Turn the mixture out into a large bowl and add the parmesan cheese, fold it in until combined
- Drizzle in some olive oil and gently stir it in – you need just enough to bind the sauce and bring it to a nice dropping consistency, not runny.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice, season to taste.
- The sauce will keep in the fridge (covered) for a few days