Slow Cooker RatatouilleCourse: MainCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Easy
A heartwarming vegetarian classic French dish
5 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
350 g Aubergines peeled and cut in cubes
2 tbsp mixed italian herbs
1 large Onion chopped
1 Courgette halved lengthways and thickly sliced
2 1 Red pepper 1 Yellow peeper cut lengthways deseed and slice
400 g Tinned plum tomatoes
125 ml Passata strained tomatoes
2 tbsp Vegetable Stock/Red wine vinegar
1 tsp soft brown sugar
salt and ground pepper
- Heat 2 Tbsp of Olive oil in a preheated large frying pan and cook of half the Aubergines courgettes and peppers, until tender. Using a slotted spoon transfer the vegetables to your slow cooker.
- Repeat this process again with the remaining Aubergines, courgettes and peppers
- Using the remaining Olive oil gently sweat off the onion and garlic until the onion has softened.
- Then place in the slow cooker
- Now add plum tomatoes, and pour in the passata and stock or vinegar
- Add the sugar and herbs, plus season to taste.
- You will find the vegetables are not submerged in the liquid, this is fine
- Place on the lid and set the cooker to high for 4 hours.
- Halfway through the cooking time give the Ratatouille a quick stir add the basil leaves and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender.
- Once cooked remove the basil leaves and serve and enjoy.
- Serving suggestion….. with boiled rice.