Vegetarian Paella (Slow Cooker)Course: MainCuisine: SpanishDifficulty: Easy
A vegetarian version of the Spanish Classic
4 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
1 large onion Spanish
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1¾ pts vegetable stock already hot
saffron large pinch lightly crushed
1 yellow pepper deseeded and sliced
1 red pepper deseeded and sliced
1 large aubergine diced
225 g rice paella or risotto
450 g tomatoes peeled and chopped (See notes)
115 g mushrooms chestnut mushrooms sliced
115 g french beans cut in half
400 g can of borlotti beans drained and washed
salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion and garlic.
- sweat of over a low heat for 5 minutes stirring occasionally until translucent.
- Pour a little of the hot stock(about 3 tbsps) into a small bowl and stir in the saffron and set aside.
- Add the peppers and Aubergines to the frying pan and let them cook off for about 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add the rice and stir continuously for about 1 minute to ensure all the rice is coated with the oil.
- Pour in the remaining stock, add the tomatoes, mushrooms, french beans and borlotti beans.
- Stir in the saffron stock and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker and set to low.
- cover with the lid and cookout for 2½ to 3 hours until the rice is tender and all the stock has been absorbed.
- You are ready to serve up your Vegetarian Paella