Slow Cooker Potato Apple and Bacon CasseroleCourse: MainCuisine: BritishDifficulty: easy
A hearty flavoursome meal that can be prepared before your day’s chores and be ready to eat when you get home in the evening.
750 g Potatoes Thinly Sliced
25 g Butter
2 Onions Roughly Chopped
250 g Back Bacon Smoked, Diced
1 Dessert Apple Cored and Sliced
2 tbsp Flour Plain
450 ml Chicken Stock
2 tsp English Mustard
2 Bay Leaves
50 g Cheddar Cheese Grated
Salt + Pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and add the potatoes, let them simmer for just 2/3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan add a knob of butter and sweat of the onions and bacon for a few minutes until they just start to colour.
- Add the apple, flour and seasoning (salt + pepper) mix the ingredients well.
- Starting with potato, layout 1/3 of the potato on the bottom of the inner pot, then 1/2 of the bacon and apple mix, another layer of potato and the rest of the apple and bacon, topping the dish with a layer of potato.
- If you find you are running low on Potatoes, it wouldn’t take long to just quickly peel and slice another one and simmer for 2/3 minutes to parboil, drain, let them cool down a bit and finish the topping.
- Place the inner pot back into the slow cooker.
- Using the juices left in the frying pan add the mustard the chicken stock and bay leaves and bring back to the boil.
- Pour the stock over the potatoes and set the cooking time on low for 9 hours.
- Just before you are ready to serve, carefully remove the inner pot from the slow cooker and sprinkle the top with grated cheese, place the pot under a preheated grill to melt the cheese and brown of the top.
- Serve and enjoy