Look no further than this delicious Slow Cooker Tomato and Lentil Soup if you’re in the mood for a warm, hearty, and nourishing meal that practically prepares itself. This soup is not only simple to make but also a comfort food favorite for many because it is full of the goodness of tomatoes, lentils, and aromatic spices.
Slow Cooker Tomato and Lentil SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
A simple and heart-warming vegetarian soup made from Tomatoes and Lentils, which can be Red, Yellow or Brown.
2 tbsp Sunflower Oil
1 Garlic Clove
2 Celery Sticks
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Ground Coriander
175 grams Lentils red or Yellow
1 tbsp Tomato Puree
2 Pints Vegetable Stock
400 grams of tomatoes tinned chopped
Salt + Pepper
Creme Fraiche to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic.
- Gently cook over a low heat for 4/5 minutes, stirring regularly. You are looking to just soften the onion.
- Cut the Celery and Carrot into small bite-size pieces and add to the onion, cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring at intervals. Add the Cumin and Coriander and let them cook in for a minute then add the Lentils.
- In a small bowl mix the Tomato Puree with a little of the stock and pour into the pan, mix well and add the remaining stock, Tomatoes and Bayleaf.
- Bring all the mixture to the boil and now transfer everything to your slow cooker. Cook on a low setting for around 4 hours.
- Once cooked remove the bay leaf and transfer the soup to a food blender and blend until nice and smooth.
- Alternatively, if you have A Hand Blender, that would be so much easier, just blend the soup until nice and smooth, this will save transferring from pot to blender and back again to reheat
- If you need to season your soup now is the time.
- Serve with a nice spoonful of Creme Fraiche and fresh crusty bread.
Q: Could I substitute canned lentils for dried ones?
While canned lentils will save you time, dried lentils work best for this recipe.
Q: Is it possible to cook the soup on high heat rather than low heat?
For the best flavor and texture, cooking should be done at a low temperature. Lentils that are cooked for a long time may become tough.
Q: The leftovers can they be frozen?
Absolutely! Store the soup in airtight containers after allowing it to cool. When ready to enjoy, reheat.
Q: Can I use water in place of the broth?
Although using broth deepens the flavor, water can be substituted if necessary. To suit, adjust the seasonings.
Q: Why is this soup so nutritious?
Protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals are all present in lentils and tomatoes, which promotes overall health.
Also Read: Mary Berry Celeriac Soup Recipe
Enjoy the comforting flavors of Slow Cooker Tomato and Lentil Soup, a filling dish that’s ideal for chilly days or whenever you’re in the mood for a healthy meal. This soup will undoubtedly become a staple in your kitchen due to its ease of preparation and fantastic flavor.