Mushroom StroganoffCourse: Main CourseCuisine: RussianDifficulty: Medium
Creamy vegetarian mushroom stroganoff served with wild rice A superb mushroom dish and dairy free
1 tbsp olive oil
300 g mushrooms chestnut or button or your choice
2 shallots chopped
1 red pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
250 ml vegetable stock
2 tsp smoked paprika
fresh thyme chopped
110 g basmati rice
200 ml soya single cream
Ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep frying pan and add the shallots and red pepper.
- Cook down until they are tender
- Add the garlic and cook out for a further minute or so
- Add the mushrooms paprika and thyme and cook until the mushrooms soften and most of the liquid has disappeared.
- Add the vegetable stock
- Cook for 7 minutes, uncovered until about half of the liquid has reduced.
- Whilst the stroganoff is cooking, begin to cook the rice according to packet instructions.
- Add the cream and a generous amount of pepper to the stroganoff, then simmer for approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once cooked, spoon out the rice onto plates and spoon the stroganoff on top.
- Enjoy with garlic bread (use gluten/wheat free bread if required)