Beef Bourguignon (Slow Cooker)Course: MainCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Easy
A succulent beef stew in a rich red wine sauce
700 g Stewing Beef
100 g Bacon Lardons
4 Garlic cloves minced
1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
1 Carrot cut same size as shallots (roughly)
6 Shallots cut into ¼’s
250 g Button Mushrooms
8 Pearl Onions
200 ml Red wine
400 ml Beef Stock or 2 beef stock cubes in 400ml of warm water
2 Tbsp Flour
Fresh Parsley finely chopped to serve
- In a large frying pan, heat a little olive oil and sauté the bacon lardons for about 3 minutes, until beginning to crisp and browned.
- Transfer to slow cooker bowl.
- Place the flour in a largish bowl and add the chunks of beef.
- Lift and drop the beef in the flour until it is well coated.
- Shake off any excess flour and place in the pan you have just fried the bacon in.
- Sear the meat all over, browning on all sides then transfer to slow cooker.
- now to the same frying pan add the shallots, carrots and garlic, sweat off for 3/4 minutes.
- add the remaining excess flour and thoroughly combine, add the tomato puree and mix well
- allow the flour to cook out for 2/3 minutes, then add the whole mixture to the slow cooker
- Pour the red wine into the frying pan and deglaze the pan scraping any sediment from the bacon and beef from the bottom, allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes, then pour it into the slow cooker along with the beef stock and pearl onions.
- Season with salt and ground pepper to taste
- Place on the lid and set the cooker to low for 7 hours
- Heat a little butter in a pan over medium heat, add the mushrooms gently toss them in the butter until just turning golden brown.
- Add them to the slow cooker in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- If you feel the sauce is a little thick now would also be the time to add a little water
- Serve with buttery mash and sprinkle with chopped parsley.