Moussaka (Slow Cooker)Course: MainCuisine: GreekDifficulty: Moderate
Moussaka is a Greek dish made up of minced lamb in a rich tomato sauce layered with aubergine and a thick layer of béchamel cheese sauce.
- For the aubergine and zucchini layer:
2 aubergines sliced
2 tsp olive oil
1 Potato Large
- For the lamb sauce:
500 g lamb mince
2 onions thinly sliced
2 Tomato Puree
400 g chopped tomatoes
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cinnamon
salt and pepper
- For the white sauce:
300 ml Bechamel Sauce
grated nutmeg a tiny amount
40 g lighter mature cheddar
- Place the potatoes into a pan of salted boiling water and parboil for just 2/3 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant and zucchini and slice them into ¼- inch thick rounds. Add them to a medium bowl and toss with 1 tbsp. olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place them onto a baking tray and bake until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown off the lamb mince. Drain off any access liquid and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sliced onion, chopped tomatoes, garlic, oregano, cinnamon and season to taste, mix ingredients well.
- Lightly oil the base of your slow cooker and layer half of the aubergine and zucchini slices on the base.
- Pour in half the lamb sauce, and cover with the sliced potato add the rest of the lamb mixture and top off with the remaining aubergine and zucchini.
- Make up the cheese sauce from this Bechamel Sauce Recipe. Stir in the grated cheese
- Pour the sauce on top of the top aubergine and zucchini layer and spread it out with a spoon, leaving a nice smooth finish
- Cook on high for an hour or so and then switch to low for a further 6 hours.
- Serve with a nice Greek feta salad.