Many people love to have cheese and onion pies for dinner or for snacking during the night. Of course, you may not have tried making a pie before in your life.
If that is the case, you don’t have to worry about a complex method. Here is an easy Mary Berry cheese and onion pie recipe that is suitable for all beginners.
Mary Berry Cheese And Onion Pie Recipe Overview
A cheese and onion pie is suitable for vegans and meat consumers. The recipe in this guide will allow you to feed seven to nine people easily.
Of course, you must remember that making the pie requires you to have sufficient free time. Preparing the ingredients will take about 1.5 hours. Meanwhile, the cooking time ranges from one to two hours.
- Amount Per ServingCalories597
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.7g 9%
- Cholesterol 78mg 26%
- Sodium 161mg 7%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 12.8g 26%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Ingredients For The Pastry
- 130 grams of butter
- 130 grams of lard
- 370 grams of plain flour
- 1 large beaten egg wash
Ingredients For The Filling
- 65 grams of butter
- 2 sliced onions
- 460 grams of potatoes in cubes
- 620 ml of milk
- 60 grams of plain flour
- 1.25 tablespoons of mustard
- 1.25 tablespoons of thyme
- 60 grams of shredded cheddar cheese
- 60 grams of shredded parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of grounded black pepper
- You must melt the butter for the filling first at a medium flame
- Add onions to the melted butter and fry for two to three minutes
- Cover the pan and reduce the flame to low heat to cook the onions for 10 to 15 minutes
- Set a pot of salted water on another stove to boil potatoes
- Warm the milk while the onions and potatoes are cooking
- Add the plain flour to the pan with onions and cook for a minute. Then, pour the milk while stirring the mixture
- Make sure to bring the mixture to a boil so that it thickens properly
- Add mustard, thyme, potatoes, and cheese to the thickened mixture to form the filling
- You should also season the mixture with salt and pepper
- Transfer the mixture to a pie dish with a funnel in the middle and let it cool
- Now you must start making the pastry by putting flour in a large bowl
- Grate the butter and lard using a grater into the bowl directly
- Add 150 ml of water to the bowl to make a mixture for the dough
- Sprinkle some flour on your kneading board and place the dough on it to knead it
- Roll the kneaded dough into a rectangle and fold it from the lower 1/3rd to the centre. Then fold the top 1/3rd downwards
- Turn your dough at an angle of 90° and form a rectangle again
- Repeat the same folding and turning steps at least two times and then keep the dough in the fridge to chill for half an hour
- Preheat your oven to 200°C with gas 7 and 220°C fan
- Roll your pastry and cut it into a strip of 0.5 inches to fit the pie dish
- Roll the rest of the pastry dough into a circle and cut a disc that is 1.25 inches larger than your pie dish
- Wet the lip of your dish and place your thin pastry strip on it
- Wet the dish lip and now add the circular disc to the tray and press down on the edges
- Be sure to make a hole to keep the funnel exposed
- Brush the pastry lid with your egg wash and put the dish in a baking tray
- Allow the pastry to bake for at least 45 minutes or until the top turns golden brown
Also Read: Mary Berry’s Cheesy Lasagne Recipe
- You can make the filling a day before making the pastry if you don’t have enough time to make both things on the same day. Typically, you should add the pastry to the dish six hours before baking
- The filling must be allowed to cool completely before baking because prior heat can cause unnecessary melting of the pastry
- Total Calories – 597
- Total Fat – 38.1 grams
- Cholesterol – 78 milligrams
- Total Carbohydrates – 51.4 grams
- Total Sugars – 5 grams
- Protein – 12.8 grams
Also Try: Mary Berry’s Cheese Scones Recipe
Frequently Asked Questions
Do You Put Egg In Cheese And Onion Pie?
You don’t have to add an egg to your onion for the filling because it can reduce the pie’s taste. However, you do require egg wash of one large egg to apply on the pastry to make it crispier.
Is Adding A Pastry Strip To The Lip Of The Dish Necessary?
Adding a pastry strip to the lip of your dish is an optional step, but it can make cooking easier. The ingredient allows you to raise your pastry slightly. This prevents your pastry from becoming soggy while baking.