Chocolate Coconut MacaroonsCourse: Cakes, Bakes and PastriesCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Medium
Crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside, with a chocolate base, these Macaroons are as easy to make as they are to eat, you will probably have to make 2 batches.
2 large egg whites room temperature
80 g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
150 g unsweetened desiccated coconut
100 g semi-sweet chocolate melted for dipping and drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC), Gas mark 4
- Line a flat baking tray with baking parchment
- Place the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and salt into a clean glass bowl and using a hand whisk, beat the whites until they form soft peaks.
- Add the coconut and fold everything together using a spatula.
- Using 2 tablespoons, scoop some mixture and form into a round ball, you’re looking for about the size of a golf ball, alternatively, scoop a large tablespoon of the mixture and with wet hands roll the mixture into a ball shape and place onto the baking tray. If you have an ice cream scoop, even better, the size of the macaroons is up to you.
- Give them a fair amount of space between each one.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the tips are turning a golden brown,
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on a rack.
- For the Chocolate
- If you are using block chocolate, break it up into small chunks and place in a glass bowl, (If you are using chocolate chips, just throw them into a glass bowl)
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, be sure not to fill the pan so much that the glass bowl touches the water Keep the bowl above the water.
- As the chocolate melts keep stirring with a silicone spatula until most of the chocolate has melted then remove from the heat and continue stirring until you have a nice bowl of smoothy melted chocolate.
- Make a piping bag from parchment paper, (See Video) and fill it half full of chocolate.
- Set aside
- Replace the parchment paper on the baking tray with fresh paper
- Dip the bottom of the macaroons in the chocolate and swipe your finger across the bottom just to remove excess chocolate, be gentle, don’t remove too much chocolate and place them on the tray with fresh parchment paper.
- To finish, snip the end of the piping bag with the smallest of cuts and with a little pressure on the bag just let the chocolate run out while you move your hand backwards and forwards over the macaroons
- Place the tray in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to set