This hearty and flavorful dish combines the earthy goodness of lentils with the comforting creaminess of potatoes. This vegetarian recipe is not only filling but also high in nutrients, making it a healthy choice for any meal. This potato and lentil bake checks all the boxes for a family-friendly dinner or a dish to impress guests.
Potato and Lentil BakeCourse: Main CourseCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Medium
A vegetarian traybake, with a double potato and cheese topping. Winter comfort food at its best.
What You Will Need
3L ovenproof dish
Saute Pan/Deep frying pan with a lid (ovenproof)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 onions roughly chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
175 g dried Puy lentils (see notes)
150 ml white wine
1½ tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
8 sun-dried tomatoes chopped
600 ml vegetable stock
1½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
25 g butter plus extra for greasing
500 g chestnut mushrooms sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Topping
350 g sweet potatoes peeled and diced into 2cm (½in) cubes
350 g white potatoes peeled and diced into 2cm (½in) cubes
a knob of butter
1 garlic clove crushed
2 tbsp snipped chives
50 g mature Cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F/Gas 4 and butter the oven-proof dish.
- Heat the oil in the oven-proof frying pan, add the onions, and sweat off for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cookout for a few seconds.
- Add the lentils, white wine, tomato paste and stock, stir and bring to the boil.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with a lid and place in the oven for about 50–60 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan, add the mushrooms and fry over a high heat for a minute.
- Lower the heat, cover with a lid and cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat slightly to allow the liquid to evaporate.
- Once all the liquid has been evaporated, season with salt and pepper and add to the lentils and give a quick stir.
- Transfer into the ovenproof dish.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/200°C fan/420°F/Gas 7.
- For the Topping
- Place the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 6–8 minutes until just soft, then drain well.
- Melt the butter in the pan you’ve just cooked the potatoes in, tip the potatoes back in and add the garlic and chives.
- Season with salt and pepper and carefully mix with a wooden spoon to coat the potatoes in the herby, garlicky butter.
- Carefully spread the potatoes evenly on top of the lentil mixture and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until crispy brown and bubbling around the edges.
- Serve with some green vegetables.
- Le Puy green lentil (pronounced Pwee) is a small, mottled, slate-grey/green lentil. They will keep their shape and texture without mushing up like split lentils.
The potato and lentil bake recipe combines the nutritious goodness of lentils with the comforting familiarity of potatoes. It’s a dish that caters to a variety of preferences and dietary needs due to its customizable nature and balanced nutrition. This bake is perfect for weeknight dinners as well as special occasions.
Also Read: Mary Berry Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Q: Can I replace red lentils with green or brown lentils?
While red lentils can be used, they cook faster and have a softer texture. Cooking time should be adjusted accordingly.
Q: Is this a vegan-friendly recipe?
To make it vegan, replace the cheese with a plant-based alternative and make sure all of the other ingredients are vegan as well.
Q: Can the potato and lentil bake be frozen?
Although freezing changes the texture of potatoes, you can save leftovers for another meal. Thaw in the oven and reheat.
Q: What sides go well with this bake?
Serve with a fresh salad, steamed vegetables, or garlic bread on the side.
Q: Can I put the dish together ahead of time and bake it later?
Absolutely! Assemble the layers in the baking dish, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Bake time can be adjusted as needed.