Salad NiçoiseCourse: SaladsCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Moderate
A superb combination of flavoursome ingredients to produce the Niçoise salad which is one of the tastiest salads ever. Combine with the topping of your choice. Tuna is classic but salmon or chicken go very nicely.
- For the Salad
300 g Baby New Potatoes
50 g French beans
4 Cherry tomatoes
2 Spring onions finely chopped
½ Red pepper thinly sliced
50 g Small black olives pitted
1 tbsp Capers
4 Anchovies cut into slivers
1 clove Garlic finely chopped/minced
- For the dressing:
1 Small clove of garlic
Salt Sea salt
2 Anchovies finely chopped
Small handful of basil leaves torn
4 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
½ tbsp Red wine vinegar
1 Baby Gem Lettuce leaves seperated and washed
- For the Dressing
- Place the garlic, anchovies (for the dressing), basil leaves, olive oil and vinegar, into a blender and whizz up until you have a pourable liquid, adding more oil or vinegar if needed. Season with black pepper.
- For the Salad
- Boil the potatoes with a pinch of salt until tender. Remove from the water and leave to cool. Once cooled cut in halves and set aside.
- Boil the eggs in cold water for approx 7/8 minutes.
- Once boiled place the pan under running cold water for 2/3 minutes and let the eggs go cold. Once cold peel and cut into quarters, set aside.
How to peel boiled eggs
- Prepare the French beans by topping and tailing them, and cook in salted boiling water until just tender. Once cooked place into a bowl of iced water set aside
- Seperate the Little Gem Lettuce and wash thoroughly, set aside to drain.
- Cut the tomatoes into halves, and place them into a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and then in half again, cut each length into 1/4″ chunks, add to the mixing bowl.
- Slice the red pepper thinly and add to the bowl
- Finely chop the spring onion and add to the bowl
- Prepare the anchovies.
- Lets Put Everything Together
- Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan and add the chopped/minced garlic. Sweat the garlic off for a minute then add the potatoes and toss them to a light golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool off
- In the same frying pan add the green beans and lighlty toss them in the butter and garlic. Set aside to cool.
- Place the lettuce on a plate evenly distributed. Toss the ingredients of the mixing bowl with two-thirds of the dressing and place them in the middle of the plate of lettuce. Pour any remaining dressing from the bowl over the salad. Arrange the quartered eggs around the edge of the salad mix.
- Spread the cooled potatoes and Green beans evenly over the salad along with the olives, capers, anchovy strips. Spoon the remaining dressing over the salad, Serve and Enjoy.
- The Niçoise Salad can be a serving all on its own, but if you want to add to it the classic topping for a Niçoise Salad is Tuna, whether it be from a can or freshly cooked.But there are other toppings to consider like Chicken or Salmon, in fact vitually anything that takes your fancy