Crispy Roast PotatoesCourse: Sides and ExtrasCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Who doesn’t like crispy, fluffy, golden brown Roast Potatoes
What You Will Need
Large Roasting Tray
1 1/2 kg King Edward or Maris Piper potatoes
100 g Duck or Goose Fat or 100 ml Good Olive Oil
- Peel and cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces. Put the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cold water,
- Place a lid on and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to medium and simmer gently (don’t boil) for 10 minutes
- Heat the oven to 200°C, 400°F (180ºC fan) /gas 7).
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and shake well, breaking the surface of the potatoes so they look rough then leave to steam dry for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the goose fat/oil in a large roasting tin in the oven until very hot.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and gently place the potatoes in the hot fat one by one, in a single layer.
- Sprinkle some salt over the potatoes and then turn them in the fat so they are completely coated,
- Place the roasting tin back into the oven and roast the potatoes turning them after 15 minutes, for 30 minutes until they are beginning to turn a golden brown.
- After 30 minutes take out of the oven and with a potato masher gently push down on each potato to break the sides (A quick tip from Jamie Oliver)
- Replace into the oven and roast for another 20/25 minutes or until completely golden brown and crispy
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and take the potatoes out of the fat with a slotted spoon and place them on a sheet of kitchen roll to drain dry.