Potato and Cheese BakeCourse: Main CourseCuisine: BritishDifficulty: Easy
Spice up your side Potato portion with this delicious comfort food that can be eaten hot or cold, on its own or as an accompaniment to other meat and fish dishes.
300 ml single cream
150 ml milk
1.5 kg potatoes
200 g mature cheddar cheese grated
50 g parmesan cheese finely grated
1 tsp English mustard powder
salt and pepper
flat-leaf parsley finely chopped for serving
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and lightly grease a 20cm square baking dish.
- Prep the ingredients
- Slice the onion fairly finely and set aside
- Peel the potatoes and finely slice (a Handheld Vegetable Slicer may come in handy here).
- Whisk together the milk, cream and mustard powder in a jug.
- Putting the dish together
- Layer ¼ of the potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish, followed by ⅓ of the sliced onions and ⅓ of the grated cheddar. Season with salt and pepper and repeat the process finishing with a layer of potato
- Pour the cream and milk mixture all over the top and let the liquid soak down. Generously sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top and cover the baking dish with foil and place into the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, remove the foil and add a few knobs of butter evenly over the top and place back into the oven for a further 20 minutes or until the top of the potato bake is a golden brown and the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the oven sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.